ADSM-L

Re: 4.2.1 IMAGE client

2001-11-30 07:22:57
Subject: Re: 4.2.1 IMAGE client
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:07:40 -0600
Image backup was really created for backing up raw partitions, as might be
used by databases.  It has a couple of features to help out with filesystem
backup:
1.  Based on serialization, it either does or does not try to unmount the
filesystem (static == unmount).  If you image a mounted filesystem, you are
unlikely to get a consistent, usable image.  You will probably fail to
unmount a filesystem that has any users.
2.  Image integrates with normal incremental backups so that on a bulk
restore, you can restore the image, then pick up any incremental changes.

There is a nice description in the V3.7 Technical Guide, redbook
SG24-5477-00.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Joe Cascanette
                    <Joe.Cascanette@        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    CUMIS.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:         Subject:     Re: 4.2.1 IMAGE client
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    11/29/2001 10:26
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Can this be used imaging in junction with backup sets?

I have a few web servers with well over 500,000 small files. During a
recovery test it took many hours to restore this volume. I am testing
out the use of backup sets for recovery purposes (so I don't need to
build the TSM server first - there are a few servers I could start to
restore using backup sets while I restore the TSM server)

The other option was to add more drives to these servers, and execute a
command to compress all the little files into 1 for backup/restore,
which would increase these times 100X

Joe Cascanette
The Cumis Group Limited