ADSM-L

Re: Moving TSM server from VM to AIX

2001-11-27 16:26:40
Subject: Re: Moving TSM server from VM to AIX
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:22:32 -0500
Check the archives for discussions on this topic, but here are my answers
anyway (see below):

                    Peter Hadikin
                    <Peter_Hadiki
                    n AT BCIT DOT CA>    To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                  cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    11/27/01      Subject:
                    01:01 PM             Moving TSM server from VM to AIX
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hello gang,

I am looking for some words of wisdom.  We are currently starting to
plan a move of our ancient TSM 3.1.2.50 server to an AIX TSM 4.x server
(not sure what version).

I have a few questions:

1) Do I simply backup our db from TSM on VM and restore to TSM on AIX?
How long will the backup restore take (our db is about 14GB and   about
90 % full).

No, that won't work.  You must export/import the DB.  Won't take too
long... my guess is < 1 hour.

2) What is the best way to connect our 3494 robotic tape library to our
RS/6000 S80 box (SCSI, ESCON, Fiber, other?)

I would think fiber, but we use DLTs... many other discussions on this
topic in the archives.

3) Do we need to convert our existing data tapes from VM to AIX somehow?

Yes, you must export/import each node with it's data.  If you have a lot of
data this will take a long time, and a lot of tapes.

4) Any other info that would be usefull.

If you can manage it, keep the old server up until everything expires.
That's what we are doing as we move from AIX to HP, although we have a new
library... but you may be able to share it.

Thanks in advance, Peter

Good Luck
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs