ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Fiber drives: Cabling Issues

2001-11-26 17:44:25
Subject: Re: 3590 Fiber drives: Cabling Issues
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:41:12 -0500
The short cable that runs down to the patch panel (barrels) on the fibre
channel drives are 50 micron provided by IBM.  This means that the jumper to
the switch will change if you use 62.5 micron cables.

I have successfully done this, but it is not a supported configuration.
Apparently, if you only do this change once in the connection it is not
likely to cause a problem on short distances like you are talking about.
What we have done is placed our ES-1000s under the library (3494) and cabled
the drives directly into the ES-1000.  Then, the uplink can be whatever you
desire.  You could do the same with a Brocade switch.