ADSM-L

Library spanning

2001-11-26 07:48:06
Subject: Library spanning
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:45:04 -5
On 25 Nov 2001 at 19:12, Seay, Paul wrote:
> The issue that I see is that a storage pool in the future will need to span
> more than one library simply because of the number of needed devices and
> exploiting the flexibility of SANs.  I hope TSM Development is working on
> this.

I just had this conversation with our local IBM storage folks.  I can
see us running out of space in our library sometime in the not to
distant future.  This would be a major mess since only full storage
pools can be moved to a second library.

I ran Legato with 2 libraries for many years - it worked very well
although you have the expected problem of too much work occuring in
one library while drives might be sitting idle in the other library.
This gets into the administrative mess of trying to balance  what
tapes are in what library so that all tape drives are utilizied.

While the local guys didn't have any answers, they did indicate that
"Storage Tank" would/could address this problem.  I don't know what
Storage Tank is going to be, but it sounds like having to spend more
money to get around a TSM limitation.