ADSM-L

move from OS/390 Server to Windown NT or W2K-Server

2001-11-22 09:30:18
Subject: move from OS/390 Server to Windown NT or W2K-Server
From: Arthur Hundhammer <Arthur.Hundhammer AT LINDE-VA DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:27:23 +0100
Hello all,

  unitl now we have running 3 TSM - Server on 0S/390 2.7.   TSM databases are in
total  26 GB.
  Our Clients are  60 - 70  Windwows NT-Servers and 3 or 4 UNIX boxes.

   Now we are planning to move the TSM-Servers from OS/390 to one ore more
Windows NT or W2K Servers.
  The storagepool-volumes will stay in the same STK -Library with the same
9840-Devices.

   Here are my question:

   Is it a good idea to consolidate 3 OS/390 Servers into one Windows Server?

   What are your tips for Hardware (one or more processors?, how much Storage?,
   one or more Nic's?, any other?).

   Is it possible after installation and implementation TSM-Server on Windows to
do the following  things to move data
   from old databases to new  database ?

   stop backup "client one"  on OS/390 Server
   Export node "client one'' data all on OS/390
   Import node "client one" in Windows Server
   start backup "client one" on Windows Server

   stop backup "client two"  on OS/390 Server
   Export node "client two'' data all on OS/390
   Import node "client two" in Windows Server
   start backup "client two" on Windows Server

   and so on
   or have you other recomendations or expirence?

   Your help are highly appreciated.
   Thanks!

   Best Regards

  Arthur Hundhammer
  Linde AG Munich
  Mail: arthur.Hundhammer AT Linde-VA DOT de