ADSM-L

Re: dsmfmt question

2001-11-21 11:24:45
Subject: Re: dsmfmt question
From: Mike Doneske <mike-doneske AT RELIANTENERGY DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:06:52 -0600
I just experienced this same problem this weekend when re-defining some
disk storage pools. I was using the DEFINE VOLUME command instead of the
DSMFMT utility. The command would fail but there would still be 408000
512-byte blocks left in the filesystem. The number of blocks left in the
filesystem seemed to be unrelated to the size of the volume I was trying to
define as it failed at the same place on different size volumes. I would
also be interested in why TSM doesn't use every available block...

                    PAC Brion Arnaud
                    <arnaud.brion@PANA        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    LPINA.COM>                cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:           Subject:     Re: dsmfmt question
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    11/21/2001 09:31
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Hi Eric,

I re-read "TSM implementation guide" Redbook a couple of minutes ago,
and they don't speek about any overhead space for a data  volume, what
they specify is that if you want to format a db volume, then the
allocated file size is always a multiple of 4 MB plus an additional 1 MB
for overhead.
Something else comes to my mind : when preparing your VG, did'nt you
forgot  the "large file enable" parameter ?
Hope this helped, but probably somebody has a better knowledge than I
have ....
Cheers.
Arnaud