ADSM-L

Re: Attaching HP LTO to TSM

2001-11-19 13:16:18
Subject: Re: Attaching HP LTO to TSM
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:12:43 -0600
Lei,

If you have the IBM Atape.driver installed, it will create an /rmtx device
for each drive in the library.  TSM cannot use that device.

Instead you have to go into smit/smitty and define a Tivoli Storage Manager
device / library first.  That will assign an lbx device to the library
controller.  You will have to know the full address of the library to do
that.  For example, my HP DLT is at 6,0 on scsi4 which is in slot address
20-60-00.  So the full address of the library is 20-60-00-6,0.

Then back out a couple of screens to Tivoli Storage Manager device / tape
drive.  Add an entry for each of the tape drives.  That will assign an mtx
device to each drive.  Same addressing applies as for the library.

Then try to define the library in TSM.  Start with the library first
(DEFINE LIBRARY).  Point the TSM library device at the /dev/lbx AIX device.

Then define the drives (DEFINE DRIVE).  Point each drive definition to the
/dev/mtx device.

After that you should define the device class and storage pools as
appropriate.

If TSM cannot communicate with the library, you might want to check library
firmware and TSM driver versions.  The latest HP firmware (that I am
running) REQUIRES the tape driver from TSM 4.1.4.0 or later.

Since you have a two-drive library you shouldn't have any wiring problems.
If you start having reports of SCSI bus errors, you might try our fix.

We fought with our HP DLT 4/40 for months (the service ticket is about 100
pages long) before we fixed it by inverting the SCSI cabling.  Our current
scheme is:
Host-adapter -> drive 4 -> drive 3 -> drive 2 -> drive 1 -> library ctlr ->
term
Then we set the library controller to SCSI ID 6.
The HP engineer said that might solve several problems they've been
fighting with.  It *looks* like their library controller cannot handle a
large quantity of data flowing THROUGH it.  By putting it on the end of the
SCSI chain it receives only commands.  We have had flawless operation for
about a month now, after as many as five tape errors per day with the old
scheme.

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator