ADSM-L

Re: Licensing MS SQL cluster - managed system for LAN/SAN and TDP licenses?

2001-11-19 09:34:23
Subject: Re: Licensing MS SQL cluster - managed system for LAN/SAN and TDP licenses?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:33:25 +0200
Yes, TDP for Apps products do not need too much B/A client. But they
desperately need the API client which comes only with B/A client. I do not
know will those clients be separated someday or not. And for now I think
about them as a one whole client (with TDP as a plug-in).
I presume that Query LICenses contains the number of purchased licenses and
the number of nodes registered. And if I want for my own purposes to
register two nodes for the same box (would this be two B/A clients or B/A +
TDP) this would force me to pay more. Same if I want to put third drive in
a small library with 10 slots - I'll have to purchase Managed Library
license.
However both licencing schemes are very simplified. How can we distinguish
between two nodes on two machines, two nodes on the same OS and two nodes
on different OS images with the same box (HP SuperDome or IBM eServer
pSeries 690 for example)? Or should we consider whole IBM SP(2) cluster as
a single system with multiple nodes registered? Same for tape libraries -
for sure there is a difference between small 5-6 slot DDS4 autoloader and
IBM 3494 with 6 frames. But the question is how many categories to define
in this wide spectrum of devices.
As we see IBM/Tivoli preferred simplicity vs complexity.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

P.S. And if these are not the correct licenses, put me on the copy too ,-)

Zlatko

Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM> on 18.11.2001 16:01:30