ADSM-L

Re: WinXP incompatible with V3 Server

2001-11-17 09:12:25
Subject: Re: WinXP incompatible with V3 Server
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:09:43 -0500
In theory, the 4.2 client should work with a V3 server. I have never tried
this combination myself, nor have I tried the 4.1 client on XP. There are
not plans at all to retro-fix XP support to 4.1.

I don't know the details of your setup, but you might try setting the 4.2
client options such that the DOMAIN includes just the local drives (so as
to implicitly exclude the SYSTEM OBJECT) and BACKUPREG is set to NO. I'm
not sure when/where the hang is occurring for you, but maybe it will work
if it just processes regular file data, and not the registry or other
system objects.

One thought just occurred to me: if this is a short-term issue, you might
try mapping the XP system's drives to a Windows NT or 2000 machine, then
back up the mapped drives from the NT or 20000 system. Not an ideal
solution, but perhaps workable for the short term.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group