ADSM-L

Re: Licensing MS SQL cluster - managed system for LAN/SAN and TDP licenses?

2001-11-16 15:11:54
Subject: Re: Licensing MS SQL cluster - managed system for LAN/SAN and TDP licenses?
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:09:13 -0500
> And another issue (maybe for another thread) - TDP for applications
> products do not include backup/archive/API client license, right? So in
> addition to TDP license TSM client license (LAN or SAN) has separately to
> be bought? And if I want backup/archive client node and TDP node to be
> different TWO licenses have to be bought, right?

Zlatko,

If I understand your configuration correctly, you will have two
Windows systems running a clustered SQL server environment.
You want to back up of each of the Windows file systems over the
LAN and the SQL data over a SAN connection.
Thus, you will have 2 TSM nodes for the file system
data on each server and one TSM node for the clustered SQL server.

My understanding for the license requirements is as follows:

2 Managed system for LAN licenses
  (one for each node backing up the Windows file system)

1 Managed system for SAN license for the LAN-free support
  for TDP for SQL

1 TDP/SQL license if this is not an active/active cluster
  (which means the SQL server and thus TDP for SQL is only
  running on one of the clustered machines at a time)

To be certain, please confer with you Tivoli sales representative.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono