ADSM-L

Licensing MS SQL cluster - managed system for LAN/SAN and TDP licenses?

2001-11-16 07:26:00
Subject: Licensing MS SQL cluster - managed system for LAN/SAN and TDP licenses?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:24:59 +0200
Hello,

A cluster of two servers running MS SQL has to be backed up.
The question is how many licenses the customer has to purchase.
On my opinion two "Managed System for LAN" licenses for the nodes and a
"Managed System for SAN" for the cluster virtual node. The nodes do not
have much data to backup outside the cluster so LAN would be sufficient.
Later only one TDP for MS SQL license because this would be fail-over
cluster.
Am I wrong?
Should we order also SAN client licenses for the nodes? And should we order
TDP licenses for both nodes or only for the cluster node?

And another issue (maybe for another thread) - TDP for applications
products do not include backup/archive/API client license, right? So in
addition to TDP license TSM client license (LAN or SAN) has separately to
be bought? And if I want backup/archive client node and TDP node to be
different TWO licenses have to be bought, right?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant