ADSM-L

Client licensing

2001-11-15 06:37:04
Subject: Client licensing
From: mrkirra2001 <mrkirra2001 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:31:51 +1100
We are thinking about using TSM to backup our clients and have been told
that it will cost over AU$550 per client (about US$280). This seems extreme,
as it would be much cheaper to purchase a personal backup system
(Tape/CD-RW/Zip/etc) for our 700 machines than pay the price of a server and
it's hardware and the server tape system and the tapes.

Are there any other options for licensing? For example, a charge per month
per machine?

How have other companies handled this?

And yes, I do understand that personal backup isn't as good as a corporate
backup, which is why we are investigating TSM. I just don't like the price
we have been quoted.

Regards