ADSM-L

Re: STK Powerhorn Silos

2001-11-15 05:13:25
Subject: Re: STK Powerhorn Silos
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:10:29 +0000
Richard,
We have TSM under OS390 sharing STK silos with ADSM under AIX. across two sites.
We use the cross siting to write copy pools direct offsite.
We have a mixture of Timberline (3490) and 9840 drives within the silos.
The 9840s are used for the cross siting because of theit escon capability.
The silos are shared but we use dedicated drives within the silos for the
different operating
systems. Within the OS390 system drives are shared with non TSM work.
The cross operating system sharing is managed from OS390 by STK HSC and LIBRARY
STATION software.
The AIX ADSM  requires a product called Nettape,as an interface between ADSM and
the Library Station sofware.
 I believe there is a TSM approved product called EDT which performs a similar
function.
So in summary I would say it works fine.
Occasional mechanical problems but no major issues.
If you are intending to do library sharing there is a fair amount of set up work
involved.
Although I was only indirectly involved with the AIX ADSM,  they had more
difficulty getting their side of things to work, than I did on the OS390 side.
This was I believe connected with Nettape. I am not sure if Nettape is supported
with TSM, but EDT is.  However EDT is
more expensive.
Hope this helps

John

"Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM> on 11/14/2001 09:49:27
PM

Please respond to rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com