ADSM-L

Re: AIX and LTO 3583

2001-11-14 13:53:14
Subject: Re: AIX and LTO 3583
From: Katherine Faella <kmf AT URI DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:47:57 -0500
Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your help - slot 16 is the I/O port.  All I had to
do was put the tape in that port and the 3583 moved it into a slot!  I
should have thought of that!

I do have a follow-up question, or should I say another question.

When I use the command

 move drmedia * wherestate=mountable tostate=vault

to move my DBbackup and COPY storage pool tapes offsite, my filling copy
tapes are moved as well.  Is there an easy way to move one or more back
into the library so that I can continue filling it/them?  These tapes have
such large capacity I hate to see too many sitting practically empty in my
"vault".

Thanks again for all your help,

Katherine Faella
University of Rhode Island

Help!  I am feeling quite dumb here, have searched the archives and read
the manuals all to no avail.  It's probably just me ...

I have an IBM LTO 3583 library.  I have successfully inserted tapes and
begun backing up with TSM.  All
was going well.   Recently I decided that it was time to use the library as
it was intended.  Using DRM I
decided I should remove COPY tapes and DB Backup Tapes etc.  and keep them
in my "vault".   That was
easy.  Now however I would like to put back in some of the tapes that have
expired.  Here is where I am
having trouble.

We have one column in the library to hold tapes and one I/O port.  I can
add new scratch tapes with label
libvolume ... checkin=scratch ..    but I can not seem to get those old
used and expired tapes back in.

I have tried the   checking libvolume xxxxx scratch=yes.  I am prompted
(through the actlog) to insert the tape in slot 16.  Here is my problem.
Which slot is 16?  I have tried a couple of different ones and get

ANR8306I 007: Insert LTO volume 111ACH R/W into the slot
                         with element number 16 of library LTOLIB within
58
                         minutes; issue 'REPLY' along with the request ID
when
                         ready. </mv>
11/13/2001 13:49:19      ANR2017I Administrator OPERATIONS issued command:
REPLY 7
11/13/2001 13:49:19      ANR8499I Command accepted.

11/13/2001 13:52:12      ANR8300E I/O error on library LTOLIB (OP=00006C03,
CC=314,
                         KEY=05, ASC=3B, ASCQ=0E,

I do not know how to tell what slot is 16.   Help!  Pretty soon I will run
out of new tapes to add and I can't get the old ones back in.  I feel
foolish.  It seems like this should be easy.  Help!   And will we're at it,
how can I log on an admin client (in line mode) with mount messages being
sent to this session.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, including RTFM -  just tell me what
page number!