ADSM-L

LAN Free (SAN) Backup

2001-11-14 07:38:59
Subject: LAN Free (SAN) Backup
From: Wouter V <wouter-v AT EASYNET DOT BE>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:44:01 +0100
Hello,

I will soon implement my first TSM Server on a SAN network.

The SAN is connected with a MA8000 storage server, 5 NT clients, and 1 Sun
Unix server
Each machine has local disk + san-attached storage and will use TDP for
oracle to make backups
(data on the MA8000).

I read that a backup/archive of regular files is also possible since TSM
4.2.

Now, is it correct that with LAN-Free backup :

                - I can't use diskpools (on the SAN), with migration (next
storage pool)
to the tapelibrary, over the SAN ?
                - You always make a "direct connection" from the backup client
to the
storage device which takes the backup
                  (tape).  So data transfers twice through the SAN-switch ?
From the
MA8000 storage server to the client
                  (storage agent) and then, from the client to the tape library
?
                - The maximum number of concurrent clientbackups is limited to
the number
of drives in the library('s) ?
                  Because we can't use a SAN diskpool as destination the number
of mount
points is limited to the number of
                  drives ? (disk has unlimited number of mountpoints)
                - If I want to do Serverless backup / use SAN diskpools I need
Sanergy ?

Can you give me any advices concerning LAN-Free / Serverless backup ?

Thank you for your help.

Wouter V.
Unix System Engineer.