ADSM-L

AIX Client Problems

2001-11-09 12:54:00
Subject: AIX Client Problems
From: David Nash <daven AT GRAINSYSTEMS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:37:32 -0600
I have two small problems with an AIX 4.3.3 client
running TSM 4.1.2.  This client is also the TSM server,
so the comm method is shmem. About a month ago, I
started seeing that the nightly increment schedule was
failing.  So, after looking into it I have found
that the schedule starts about 11:15 every night
and processes until about 2:00 am the next morning.
It usually inspects around 100,000 files and then
stops.  The session times out and the TSM server
shows no sessions for that client.  Then at around
8:15 that same morning (six hours later) the dsmc
incr finishes processing.  It only takes about 15-30
minutes to complete, but starts where it left off
six hours earlier.  It backs up all but three filesystems
before stopping at 2:00 am.  The next three filesystems
are rather large (about 2,000,000 files and 30Gb each).
Has anyone seen this behavior before?

The other problem I am noticing is that during the
day when the scheduler is not active, it is consuming
about 8.5% of the CPU.  Why is this?

Thanks,

--David Nash
  Systems Administrator