ADSM-L

TDP for ESS

2001-11-09 11:14:40
Subject: TDP for ESS
From: "Van Ruler, Ruud R SITI-ISES-31" <Ruud.R.vanRuler AT IS.SHELL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:34:33 +0100
L&g

Currently we have a 1.5Tb (70 volumes) SAP client backing up (directly) to
tape.
We would like to use TDP for ESS i.e. flashcopy for such (large) clients.
If I understand correctly flashcopy (with COPY option) works as follows:
*       flashcopy initiation (establishing pairs) for 70 volumes .......
this only takes 2 à 3 seconds per volume.
*       then in the background the actual copy takes place.
How long does this background process take ?? What does this mean for
performance during SAP transactions ??
*       during this background process you could already start backing up
(the copy volumes) to tape !!!?
Is this true ??

*       how to recover from a SAP database corruption without restoring from
tape ??
        because the COPY option was used you can perform a 'flashback'
......?
        it would be nice to have a kind of "TDP for ESS Restore" cause TDP
for ESS
        nowadays is only focused on Backup !!!

Ruud van Ruler, Shell Information Technology International B.V.   - DSES-31
Our Central Data Storage Management home page:
http://sww2.shell.com/cdsm/
> Room 1B/G01
> Dokter van Zeelandstraat 1, 2285 BD Leidschendam NL
Tel : +31 (0)70 - 3034644, Fax 4011, Mobile +31 (0)6-55127646
Email Internet: ruud.r.vanruler AT is.shell DOT com
                          rvanruler AT hotmail DOT com

                                                            R.vanRuler