ADSM-L

Re: ANS4018E - File name too long

2001-11-08 19:51:50
Subject: Re: ANS4018E - File name too long
From: "BURDEN,Anthony" <Anthony.BURDEN AT DEWRSB.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:49:09 +1100
Good morning guys and girls

I think you will find that it cannot be fixed by TSM!

The problem is in NT and its limitations not TSM. NT provides you with
long file names 255chars; we all know that and we know that this
includes the path and filename combined. When TSM backs up the
directory/file it starts from the root of the directory path and will
report a long filename error once it reaches 255chars;

The reason NT servers can have these extra long file names (more then
255characters) is only when the file is created from a mapped point on a
server. That is if you share a directory under NT and map to that share
point the 255chars starts from that share point. But TSM does not start
counting from that point is always starts from the root.

The only way I have ever got around this problem was to reduce the
directory structure used in our department. I also notify people if
their filenames are too long and get them to reduce them, and if I
cannot find the user I map into the directory and reduce the file name
my self. I present most of my error occur with Internet favourites and I
ignore them!

That's my understanding of the issue with long file names...hope it
helps, and that I am still up to date with the real world.

ant