ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes - Tape Reclamtion - Question of quirkiness

2001-11-08 16:35:31
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes - Tape Reclamtion - Question of quirkiness
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:32:02 -0500
Quoting Gabriel Wiley <wileyg AT US.IBM DOT COM>:

> Below is a list of reclaim tapes and their attributes, my question is;
>
> How can the  Pct_utilized  be what it is on these tapes and the
> Pct_reclaimable be what it is ?
>
> This  only happes on the Servers/Clients backing up using a(n) API,
> the
> stg_pool is collocated (if that matters)...
>
> Has anyone else seen this ?
>
> VOLUME_NAME            PCT_UTILIZED     PCT_RECLAIM     STGPOOL_NAME
> ------------------     ------------     -----------     -------------
> C00387                         97.0            51.8     TLIB3494
> C00021                         96.3            53.1     TLIB3494
> C00052                         99.5            53.8     TLIB3494
> C00336                        100.0            53.9     TLIB3494
> C00352                         91.5            56.2     TLIB3494

I regularly see this kind of anomaly with non-API backups of clients
with large numbers of small files. The last several releases of the
TSM server have grouped small files into aggregates to improve the
efficiency of tape operations. When some but not all of the files in
an aggregate expire, the unused space within the aggregate is counted
as part of the reclaimable space, but is not deducted from the
reported utilization.