ADSM-L

Starting Linux client from inittab

2001-11-08 16:31:12
Subject: Starting Linux client from inittab
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:27:35 -0500
We recently installed 4.2.1.0 client software on a Linux system with a
2.4.10 kernal. I have no trouble starting the client scheduler process
with the 'at now' command, but the client scheduler process is
consistently crashing with a segment fault when it is started from
inittab during system initialization. We find messages like:

11/08/01   05:04:42 main thread, fatal error, signal 11

in /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmerror.log. The location of the log
file is odd, since dsm.sys specifies that dsmerror.log should be written
in /var/adm/adsm. When the client scheduler process is started using the
'at now' command it does in fact write its logs in that directory. A
'kill -l' command on the Linux system lists signal 11 as SIGSEGV.