ADSM-L

Re: TSM annoyances

2001-11-07 13:15:49
Subject: Re: TSM annoyances
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:12:41 -0800
Forgot to mention: We are a re-charge service out of the Central Computer
Services (mainframe) group.

Most of our users are Windows and Mac (soon to be Max OS-X .. IBM!!!)
They love/hate our service.  If it wasn't for us  they'd either be:
  1) doing no backups
  2) backups that are stored in the desk drawer under the workstation
  3) driving their PC administrators crazy running backups manually.

 We 'bring in' $30K (yes that's a K as in 3 zeros) per month. (Can you say
'cash-cow'??)  And offsite storage is really a 'second' offsite for our
customers (that are in other buildings) and considereed more of a extra
perk than a part of the service.

I get more complaints from people that don't get our home-grown reports
that tell them weekly if they're keeping up with their (scheduled) backups
than I get enquiries about whether we send a copy of the backups off
campus.

... joe.f.

P.S.  We may go out of business if we lose that half of our customers
because they are on Mac OS-X if IBM doesn't doesn't do something soon.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
         joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633
   149 days until my retirement!!!!!!