ADSM-L

Expiration mystery

2001-11-06 09:54:59
Subject: Expiration mystery
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:51:12 +0000
We have a netware client where on a regular basis one of the volumes is tidied
up by moving files into an "olddata" directory
This olddata directory is backed up, as part of a scheduled incremental backup.
The files are then deleted from the client.
Every time after this process the activity log backup statistics for this client
show that reported failures have increased.
The level of failures reported remains static until next time we perform the
tidy up process, when it increases again.
Currently the number of failures is up to  157,098 which is  impacting  the
backup run time.

In the schedule log an example failure shows as

23:38:09 Expiring-->         0 FORMFILL:/groups/f5/data/bcsc/inlive [Sent]
23:38:10 Retry # 1  Expiring-->        0 FORMFILL:/groups/f5/data/bcsc/inlive
** Unsuccessful **
23:38:10 ANS1228E Sending of object 'FORMFILL:/groups/f5/data/bcsc/inlive'
failed
23:38:10 ANS1304W Active object not found

I am struglling to understand what is happening here
I thought that the client would expire a file if it found that it no longer
existed when compared to the list of active files sent from the host server at
the start of the backup.
So why are we then seeing the ANS1304W message which I am interpreting as
meaning  the list of files sent from the server did not actually contain the
object that is being expired.
If that is the case why is it being expired,, or is there some other way the
client knows that a file no longer exists.
I raised this with support, but after sending through a number of traces got no
resolution.

Is there anyone out there who has seen anything similar or can shed any light on
this mystery.
Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.