ADSM-L

Re: ODBC Driver

2001-11-05 18:45:07
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:10:03 -0500
Hi Gerald,

Glad to hear that you've got it working!

You are, of course, correct... ideally the ODBC driver install would
launch as soon as it is unpacked.

The reason we don't do this is because of the prerequisite that the MDAC
be installed prior to running the setup.exe program. If the MDAC is not
installed (as could be the case for Windows 95, 98 and NT 4.0), then the
ODBC setup program should not be run until you've verified that you have
the correct MDAC install package (or you can install the MDAC on your own,
then run the ODBC setup program). The README file for the ODBC driver
discusses this in the "Installation" sections.

I think that there are areas of the install process that can be improved,
especially for the case where MDAC is already installed. That's something
we can consider for future releases.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
11/05/2001 15:08