ADSM-L

NT recovery question

2001-11-05 18:43:57
Subject: NT recovery question
From: "Cooper, Joel (US - Hermitage)" <jocooper AT DELOITTE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:26:12 -0600
Hello:
I've searched ADSM.ORG and not found anyone discussing this. Today we were
walking through a DR test on a W2K server with SQL2000 on it (using TDP v2).
Our DR plans had been working pretty well until now.

We pulled in the complete C drive and restore the system state. SQL Server
wouldn't come up.

It turns out that the registry contained some entries pointing to the SQL
server in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe, but they had
been recorded in 8.3 as
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe. (You see where I'm headed?)

Unfortunately, there were 4 directories that started with "Microsoft" and
since they were created in alphabetical order, the "Microsoft SQL Server"
directory was created last, making it MICROS~4.

I realize that this is probably more of a MS issue than TSM, but it really
presents some serious problems and risks. Are any of you dealing with this?

Thanks in advance,
Joel Cooper
Deloitte & Touche LLP
jocooper AT deloitte DOT com