ADSM-L

Re: Read error on tape

2001-11-05 14:04:13
Subject: Re: Read error on tape
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:54:38 -0500
I have a 3575-L32 with 6 C-XL drives on AIX TSM server.  Use both Blue
and Red tapes.  Yes, the tapes are probably bad if relabeling doesn't fix.
These can be replaced by calling (888) IBM-MEDIA.

You could have a bad drive also.  On AIX, I check errpt to quickly if
one drive is getting excessive errors.  (You will normally get errors showing
in the errpt, key to look for is if say one drive over a day or two is getting
more errors than all other drives combined).  Can also get similar results
from TSM actlog:  q actlog begind=-3 search=I/O
This will show all I/O errors on drives.
AIX errpt will show more things like when drives are cleaned if autoclean
is enebaled on 3575.  Another clue is if one drive is being cleaned more
often that the others.

If I see high error rate on one drive, more than others, I have no problem
with calling IBM to replace drive.  That has always solved problem.
I generally check first with actlog searches and make sure that it wasn't
one real bad tape that had multple mounts in same drive.  If relabeling doesn't
fix tape - I pull it out of service.

As I don't cry wolf unless there is one, local IBM CE's now don't question
when I call in a bad drive.  They know it's bad.
I have had about 3 or 4 drives replaved in last year for I/O errors, a few
also that were breaking tapes.

David Longo

>>> tminter AT SPARKS DOT ORG 11/05/01 12:21PM >>>
I have an IBM3575 tape library that is getting  a pretty high rate of tape
with either read or write error and will place the tape into a readonly
status. I have tried a few times to re-label the tapes with overwrite=yes
but seen to have the problem again later. Are these tapes simply bad and
must be removed from the library. These tapes aren't more than five months
old.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 11/05/01 14:03:53
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.