ADSM-L

TSM annoyances

2001-11-02 16:49:29
Subject: TSM annoyances
From: "Johnn D. Tan" <jdtan AT MED.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:47:23 -0500
I have a few annoyances with Tivoli -- not many, as it's a great
product, just a handful.

1) We have TSM 4.1.3 server connected to SpectraLogic Gator/64000.
Despite what Tivoli says on their website, the element number of Slot 1
in the library is not 1, but 30! This is very annoying! If I do a "q
libv lib1" and look up a volume's home element, I have to subtract 29 in
order to really know what slot it's in on the library. Can this be
corrected so that it is what Tivoli's website says it should be -- i.e.,
element 1 matches slot 1?

2) Is there a simple way to find out which volumes are associated to any
other? For instance, let's say I have to do a "move data" on 000115.
Right now, here's what I do:
q content 000115 count=-1 f=d
q content 000115 count=1 f=d
       If either one of these has a segment 1/1, then everything's great,
as there is no associated volume. But if either or both have 1/2 (or
2/2) then I have to issue:
audit v 000115
       And find the associated volume. The catch is, if there are *two*
associated volumes, you have to check one of them in first and update
its status, before you can do another audit to find the other associated
volume.
       Is there any way to find these associated volumes in one swift
command?!

3) [I think this is more a SpectraLogic issue, but I'll gripe
anyway ;).] When I want to "bulk load" a bunch of tapes into the Gator
tape library, I have to make sure no tapes are mounted in the drives.
Otherwise, the bulk load will just blindly put the new tapes into the
slots of the tapes in the drive. Doesn't TSM "talk" to the tape library
and tell it the home elements (or slots) of the tapes that are mounted
in the drives, so that the robotic picker won't put tapes into those
slots??

Thanks for any advice.
johnn