ADSM-L

Re: restoring client as a full OS install?

2001-11-02 12:16:46
Subject: Re: restoring client as a full OS install?
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:59:00 -0600
The bare metal for TSM redbook is hopelessly out of date.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Sergio Cherchyk

                    <scherchyk@BANCOR        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    IO.COM.AR>               cc:

                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Re: restoring client
as a full OS install?
                    Dist Stor

                    Manager"

                    <[email protected]

                    .EDU>

                    11/02/2001 09:53

                    AM

                    Please respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist Stor

                    Manager"

IMHO, TKG is the only way to do a BMR automatically, but you should be able
to restore any machine
to current state with TSM and without TKG. Of course, it is far from being
an easy and quick
procedure (specially for Windows).
I recommend you to read a redbook about Bare Metal Restore (I don't
remember exactly the title nor I
have the book code right now, but I could send it to you later if you need
it and cannot find it at
www.ibm.com). There is another publication to read if you are willing to do
BMR to a W2000 machine
(of course, I don't remeber/have the title in this moment).
Those publications doesn't give you all the procedures you need but are a
good start point to
develope your own procedures. We developed and tested procedures for BMR in
AIX (the easiest one,
with mksysb), SUN, HP, NT and W2000, and we had problems only with W2000
(but we're already working
to improve the processes, and I'm confident that we found a good solution).
Anyway, if you don't have budget problems I'll recommend you to purchase
TKG software which will
mean a lot less headaches to you, and it is perhaps the only way to do BMR
on a big lot of machines
in a reasonable time.

Sergio Cherchyk

Daniel Sparrman wrote:

> Perhaphs AIX as NIM, MKSYSB and SYSBACK, and HP has ignite, and SUN as
> there own to(isn't that NIM?)
>
> But none of these will restore the machine to "current state". They
require
> that you make for example a full MKSYSB.
>
> Bare Metal Restore from TKG is the only application that will do a
"current
> state" restore.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Daniel Sparrman
> -----------------------------------
> Daniel Sparrman
> Exist i Stockholm AB
> Bergkällavägen 31D
> 192 79 SOLLENTUNA
> Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
> Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51
>

>                     Jeff Bach
>                     <jdbach@WAL-M        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>                     ART.COM>             cc:
>                     Sent by:             Subject:     Re: restoring
client as a full OS install?
>                     "ADSM: Dist
>                     Stor Manager"
>                     <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
>                     RIST.EDU>
>

>                     2001-11-02
>                     14:49
>                     Please
>                     respond to
>                     "ADSM: Dist
>                     Stor Manager"
>

> HP has ignite
> AIX has NIM and myksysb and sysback
> SUN had there own also.
>
> Jeff Bach

UX
> > machine from bare metal.  It is also a fully automated restore, using
> > only the data in TSM to restore the system.  The web link is
> > http://www.tkg.com/bmr/tsm.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >

> > Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
> >
> > >I'd like to know if anyone has restored a client to a blank/new drive
in
> > >order to fully bring back the OS. What I mean is this: If a client
disk
> > >drive fails, and I need bring that client machine back up ASAP, it
would
> > >be quicker if I could restore every single file that was backed up for
> > the
> > >client. If all system/install/data files on the client were backed up,
> > >then the restore should work, right? This would be quicker than
> > >reinstalling all apps, because we have a lot of apps...
> > >
> > >I already tried this. But it didn't work because I was trying to
restore
> > >to a drive that was the currently running OS client, and I think ADSM
> was
> > >unable to restore files that were running processes. So now I'm going
> > >try and restore to a second clean drive that I installed in the
machine.
> > >I also installed a base OS on the second drive, rather than keeping it
> > >clean drive with a formated filesystem of the OS type. I'm not sure if
> > one
> > >was is better than another.
> > >
> > >I read the ADSM manual, thinking that the section called "Disaster
> > >Recovery" would be just what I'm doing, and it's not. I already know
> what
> > >my machine specs are, I just need to know if I can trully restore the
> OS.
> > >
> > >Cause everything on a computer is a file, right? If that's true then
> this
> > >should work, right?
> > >
> > >Anyone done this before?
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > >Alex
> > >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > >Alex Lazarevich
> > >Systems Administrator
> > >Imaging Technology Group, http://www.itg.uiuc.edu
> > >Beckman Institute, http://www.beckman.uiuc.edu
> > >405 N. Mathews, Urbana IL  61801  USA
> > >Ph: (217)244-1565 e-mail: alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu
> > >_________________________________________________
> > >

> > --
> > Ray Schafer             The Kernel Group       www.tkg.com
> > Sr. Sales Engineer      schafer AT tkg DOT com    +1 512 433 3300

> and intended solely for the individual or entity to
> whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email
> in error destroy it immediately.

Visite http://www.bancorio.com.ar y tenga el Banco al alcance de su mano.

NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD / CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
Este mensaje (y sus anexos) es confidencial y puede contener informacion
(i) de propiedad exclusiva de Banco Rio de la Plata S.A. sus afiliadas o
subsidiarias; o (ii) amparada por el secreto profesional. Si usted ha
recibido este fax o e-mail por error, por favor comuniquelo
inmediatamente via fax o e-mail y tenga la amabilidad de destruirlo; no
debera copiar el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona.
Muchas gracias.

This message (including attachments) is confidential. It may also
contain information that (i) is exclusively property of Banco Rio de la
Plata S.A. or its affiliates or subsidiaries; or (ii) is privileged or
otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received it by
mistake please let us know by fax or e-mail immediately and destroy or
delete it from your files or system; you should also not copy the
message nor disclose its contents to anyone. Thank you.