ADSM-L

Re: APAR Question

2001-11-01 12:48:21
Subject: Re: APAR Question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:45:36 -0500
The best (i.e., most complete) source of APAR documentation is though
IBMLINK.  This is a pay-for IBM service.  Most mainframe shops have a
maintenance agreement that gives them access to IBMLINK; many non-mainframe
shops do not.  I'm sure that SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE in TRW does!

There is also a free data base you can get to via the IBM RS6000 web site;
you just search on the APAR number.
http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/solveproblems
Even if your server isn't on AIX, it's worth searching that data base for
client issues.  However I think here you can get only CLOSED (i.e. resolved)
APARS, which means you may not find the most recent problems.

You can also go to the TSM home page, click Tivoli Support, go to Ask Tivoli
and search for the APAR #.  For that you need to register and get an
id/password.  Here also, sometimes I don't find the most current info.  I
have had cases where I look for non-mainframe problems and find it in
IBMLINK, but not in Ask Tivoli - apparently they use different keywords.

I wish somebody would ask Lou Gerstner WHY we get different results from
these different sources, and how that helps anybody....