ADSM-L

Re: TSM scheduler stops by LOGOUT

2001-10-29 04:57:53
Subject: Re: TSM scheduler stops by LOGOUT
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:54:49 +0200
I do the same but without nohup:
$ ksh
$ <command> [<parameters>] [>/dev/null] &
$ ^D

subshell does not issue SIGHUP on exit because the tty is still there. If
the program is started without output redirection the output goes to the
terminal even when you have left the subshell. On subshell exit the started
process becomes child of init (pid 1) so SIGHUP of parent shell does not
affect it. When you leave the parent shell the tty is closed so output of
the command is thrown away. I am a lazy guy so I would start it with only
"dsmc sched &" in a new aixterm or telnet session and later close both
shells.
Why nohup does not block SIGHUP is an old issue at it does exist before AIX
4.3.3 (sorry, I cannot remember was this since 4.3.2 or 4.3.0).

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Neil Schofield <Neil.Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK> on 26.10.2001
15:37:57