ADSM-L

Re: Migration from AIX to Solaris

2001-10-23 09:59:26
Subject: Re: Migration from AIX to Solaris
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:56:07 -0400
Douglas,

I assume you mean moving your TSM database from AIX to Solaris...
I also assume that this is basically the same as moving the TSM database
from AIX to HP-UX, which we wanted to do...

You'll notice I said "wanted to do"....  The unfortunate truth is, it is
not supported.

That's right.  Not Supported.  You cannot backup a TSM database from one OS
and restore to a different OS (even if both are Unix).  When we tried it,
we found the HP-UX TSM was not able to read the DB backup tape.

I opened a PMR with Tivoli, and the response was... Not Supported.  They
suggested I might try doing an "export server"/"import server".  However,
that too is Not Supported. ("but it might work").

I wasn't too happy with that response, so I asked our HP rep to follow up
with Tivoli, and they came back with the same suggestion... export/import.

So I looked into the export/import commands, and as I understand it, the
export will copy all data to new tapes (DLT in our case), which can then be
read by import on the target server.  By my calculations, it would take
about 138 days, 24x7, to copy our 60 TB of backed up data to DLT
(optimistically assuming a throughput of 5MB/sec or 18GB/hour).  Oh, yes,
and it would also require more than 600 new DLT tapes (about $36,000 at
market rates).

As you might imagine, we have decided to take a different approach.  We
have started to move client nodes to the new TSM server.  We will keep the
old server and library online until all the data it contains expires, which
will take at least one year.  Fortunately, this works for us because we
have both a new server (HP L2000) and a new library (HP 20/700), and we own
the old server (IBM F50) and library (ATL P3000).  If you are planning to
physically move the same library to your new server, you'll have to move
all of your nodes at once (and they will all do "full" backups on the new
server), and you'll have to be prepared to either share the library with
the old server or re-cable it if you need to restore any "old" data.

You cannot check tapes out of the old server and check them into the new
server because there is no way for the new TSM database to know the
contents of those tapes... that can only be accomplished by backup/restore
(which is Not Supported), or export/import (which will probably take longer
than letting it just expire).

Good luck with you migration...
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Laboratories

                    Douglas
                    Currell
                    <dlcurrell@YA To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    HOO.COM>      cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                                  Subject:
                    10/23/01             Migration from AIX to Solaris
                    04:25 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Anybody have any tips regarding the migration of TSM
from an AIX platform to AIX? Has anyone done it? Thank you.