ADSM-L

Re: Client and AIX mirrored disks...

2001-10-22 10:30:10
Subject: Re: Client and AIX mirrored disks...
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:28:05 +0300
Stephen,

there is no any need to vary off the logical volumes. Moreover you cannot
vary off the LVs but only the whole VG. And you have no access to logical
volumes in varied off VG, only to the physical disks.
TSM itself does not care is you LV mirrored or not. The B/A client accesses
files on the filesystem created on top of the LV or makes a backup of whole
LV as a single raw data file using image backup. The TDP products access
the data through application APIs and again do not care about mirroring
done by the application or operating system.
The only products which do use something similar to this "split mirror and
backup" procedure are TDP products for ESS and EMC Symmetrix.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Greatbanks, Stephen P" <stephen.greatbanks AT EDS DOT COM> on 22.10.2001
07:18:04