ADSM-L

Server Clientoptions134-136et Confusion

2001-10-12 12:50:37
Subject: Server Clientoptions134-136et Confusion
From: Steven Chaba <Steven_Chaba AT RGE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:47:48 -0400
Server: TSM 4.1.0.0 running on H70 with AIX 4.3.3 ML8
Client: Various, running TSM for AIX 4.1.0.0

If I execute the following commands:

Session established with server ADSM: AIX-RS/6000
  Server Version 4, Release 1, Level 0.0
  Server date/time: 10/12/01   12:31:15  Last access: 10/12/01   08:10:29

tsm: ADSM>define cloptset test1
ANR2046I DEFINE CLOPTSET: Optionset TEST1 defined.

tsm: ADSM>define clientopt test1 compression yes force=yes
ANR2050I DEFINE CLIENTOPT: Option COMPRESSION defined in optionset TEST1.

tsm: ADSM>q cloptset test1

Optionset                     Description                   Last Update by
Managing profile
                                                            (administrator)
-------------------------     -------------------------     ---------------
--------------------
--------------------
TEST1                                                       CHABA
TEST1                                                       CHABA

Option                        Sequence     Override     Option Value
                                number
-------------------------     --------     --------
COMPRESSION                          0          Yes     yes
COMPRESSION                          0          Yes     yes

It would seem to me that if I specify FORCE=YES, that would equate to
OVERRIDE=NO, based on the descriptions in the docs (TSM for AIX Admin Ref,
GC35-0404-00, pages 134-136 and 618).

Now, consider my production environment:

We use a single cloptset on our server, and define it to virtually all of
our client nodes. See below:

tsm: ADSM>q cloptset clientoptionset

Optionset                     Description                   Last Update by
Managing profile
                                                            (administrator)
-------------------------     -------------------------     ---------------
--------------------
--------------------
CLIENTOPTIONSET               Unix and Desk Top client      ADMIN
CLIENTOPTIONSET               Unix and Desk Top client      ADMIN
                               option sets

Option                        Sequence     Override     Option Value
                                number
-------------------------     --------     --------
CHANGINGRETRIES                      0          Yes     4
CHANGINGRETRIES                      0          Yes     4
COMPRESSION                          0           No     no
MAXCMDRETRIES                        0          Yes     2
RETRYPERIOD                          0          Yes     20
SCHEDMODE                            0           No     polling
TAPEPROMPT                           0           No     no
TXNBYTELIMIT                         0          Yes     25600

Yet, I use SCHEMODE PROMPTED in the dsm.sys file of all my AIX clients, and
they in fact run prompted, when this cloptset shouldn't allow that. On the
other hand, this option set *should* allow local overriding of the
CHANGINGRETIRES option, but any attempt to do so on several of my client
machines seems to be ignored.

I'm now officially confused. Any and all guidance would be appreciated.

Steven Chaba
Lead Analyst
Rochester Gas & Electric Corporation
Rochester, NY