ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-Server-crash with unknown errormessages ANR9999D.....

2001-09-29 12:34:34
Subject: Re: ADSM-Server-crash with unknown errormessages ANR9999D.....
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:19:41 EDT
In article <41256AD4.00577FB1.00 AT mail.idg DOT de>, Jens Fornfeist
<Jens_Fornfeist AT IDG DOT DE> says:

>Hello,
>
>since a few days, one of "my" adsm-servers crashes down, telling something
>abou
>storage-problems.
>The adsm-server runs on WinNT 4.0- EnterpriseEdition - SP5. The ADSM release
>is
>3.1.2.50 (yes, I know, I have
>to upgrade it!). Has anyone seen this messages before and maybe some hints to
>solve this problem.
>09/27/2001 15:22:42 ANR9999D tcpcomm.c(1377): Insufficient memory to begin new
>TCP/IP session.

If the fix posted earlier for .58 does not fix you problem, this looks
like a problem that we used to see. I had some ideas on what caused the
problem, but we never pinned down the problem to the exact product
and the exact fix. But we had temp and perm workarounds.

What we saw is a memory problem when the server was trying to open a
scheded incr backup. But the running sessions worked quite fine.
And if a scheduled job finished another could start.

We found if we bounced the adsm server on a scheduled basis we did not
see the problem.
The other symptoms were that we were having problems with serveral novell
clients at the time and the server keep trying to contact them. If we
had the novell clients and other nt clients all working we did not
see the problem.
Another interesting fact was that after the adsm server was started we
could issue the nt netstat -a command and get half a page of ports in
use. Over several days the list of ports in use would grow quite
large. If the adsm server was halted and started again the ports were
freed.

So my feeling was that either adsm or MS tcpip was broken which led to
the ever increasing usage of the tcp ports until tcpip reached a max.
We never pinned down a fix, but we are now at a higher patch level of
NT and are using TSM and we have not seen the problem since.

Good luck.
len