ADSM-L

Re: TSM on WinNT

2001-09-29 05:05:54
Subject: Re: TSM on WinNT
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST-SWEDEN DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:55:04 +0200

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that NT/2000 cannot run ADSM/TSM, or that it's is a worthless OS.

But what I am saying that if you look at the facts about uptime and stability, nothing beats UNIX except for the S/390 environment. I'm not a UNIX fan, but I do realize that if you put ½TB of incremental data on a NT/2000 box, you will sooner or later get problems with I/O capacity. The UNIX operating system is more specialized in cooping with high I/O demands, this is a fact.

For small and medium installations NT/2000 can in fact be a great choice of OS. It's easier to handle, you don't have to have UNIX skills(who doesn't now how to handle NT/2000), and the hardware is much more cheaper.

So, I'm not trying to start a OS war, I'm just trying to explain the differences.

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00källavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

"Remeta, Mark" <MRemeta AT SELIGMANDATA DOT COM>