ADSM-L

Re: ANR8420E - can't seem to define drive...

2001-09-28 06:32:13
Subject: Re: ANR8420E - can't seem to define drive...
From: Mauricio Angelino Massa <mmassa AT BR.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:28:34 -0300
First you have to run:

# smit dev
     Tivoli Storage Manager Devices
     SCSI Attached Devices
     Tape Drive
      Add a Tape Drive
     ADSM-SCSI-MT scsi Tivoli Storage Manager Tape Drive
     (select the SCSI adapter being used by rmt0: 04-B0-00)
     * CONNECTION address                                 [1,0]

Will be created a device called "/dev/mt0", wich is what you have to inform
when defining the drive, instead of /dev/rmt0.

In this case, something like: "define drive <library_name> <drive_name>
device=/dev/mt0 online=yes"

Hth,

Regards,

     Mauricio

                    Jack McKinney
                    <jackmc-adsm@LO       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    RENTZ.COM>            cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:       Subject:     ANR8420E - can't seem to
define drive...
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                    ST.EDU>

                    28/09/01 00:23
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

    I have a machine that I am using to test things out before I do them
on the production TSM server.  I had AIX 4.3.3 installed on it, with TSM
4.1.0.0, and the tape drive below was working perfectly.

# lsdev -Cc tape
rmt0 Available 04-B0-00-1,0 4.0 GB 4mm Tape Drive

    I then upgraded to 4.1.4.0, and everything was still fine.  Then, I
reinstalled AIX 4.3.3 and TSM 4.1.0.0.  This time, I applied the 4.1.4.0
upgrade before starting.  Other than that, this is the exact same system
that it was several hours ago.  However, I can no longer see the tape
drive:

tsm: GALILEO>DEFINE DRIVE MANUALLIB RMT0 DEVICE=/dev/rmt0
ANR8420E DEFINE DRIVE: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive RMT0.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

    MANUALLIB is just "DEFINE LIBRARY MANUALLIB LIBTYPE=MANUAL".

    I know the tape drive is working, because I made a mksysb tape with
it right after I installed AIX and TSM, but before configuring TSM...

    Any thoughts?

--
"Master knows everthing except                    Jack McKinney
"Master knows everthing except                    Jack McKinney

#### C.DTF has been removed from this note on September 28 2001 by Mauricio
Angelino Massa