ADSM-L

Disaster Recovery Challenge

2001-09-27 05:19:12
Subject: Disaster Recovery Challenge
From: "Hoven van den, H (Hans)" <H.Hoven AT RF.RABOBANK DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:00:20 +0200
Hello,

We need some help with our Disaster Recovery scenario.
We have two Network Storage Managers, model C01, with TSM Server for AIX
V4.1 and DRM licensed, both attached to their own IBM 3494 ATL.
Our goal is to achieve DR without manual tape-handling, so all data must be
send across the wire.

This is what we did:
*       Installed a special DISKPOOL for Client Nodes that are willing to
pay for DR
*       Defined device class devtype=server servername=targetserver on the
source server
*       Defined source server type=server and a special policy domain and
storage pool on the target server
*       Copied the primary DISKPOOL (on the source) to the COPYPOOL (on the
target) succesfully
*       Checked that the Virtual Volumes contains DR data
Until here no surprises, just plain DRM functionality

But now what we wish to do:
*       One single Client Node died at the primary site
*       The responsible department has rebuilt that Client Node at the DR
site and asked us to restore the data
*       We tried to make the target server aware to restore the data at his
site, but were unable to make it work

So what's the challenge:
*       Is there a way to rebuild individual Client Nodes at the DR site
without (additional) tape transport?

Any help is appreciated.

With regards,

Ray Kramer & Hans van den Hoven,
Rabobank ICT
Storage Management Group
The Netherlands
Mailto:R.H.M.Kramer AT rf.rabobank DOT nl
Mailto:H.Hoven AT rf.rabobank DOT nl

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en
is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en
de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht te retourneren.
The information contained in this message may be confidential
and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you
receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents
herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.