ADSM-L

Re: Peculiar issue with ADSM Client -> TSM Client upgrade on WinNT 4.0

2001-09-26 23:35:32
Subject: Re: Peculiar issue with ADSM Client -> TSM Client upgrade on WinNT 4.0
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:32:17 -0700
I think that what you are seeing is due, at least in part, to the client
multithreading model. There is some overhead involved in starting and
stopping sessions, and the rapid "start/stop" introduced by the
consecutive selective commands (why not just use a client macro instead of
the redirected input?) could be contributing to performance problems.
Note: I don't understand how the -optfile option is working into this,
since -optfile is not a valid option with the SELECTIVE command; it is
only valid whe invoking TSM.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Try RESOURCEUTILIZATION 1. This will, as you guessed, get you down to
one session through which all the files will be backed up.

2) Better yet, go to the 4.2 client, and use the -filelist option. What
you do is:

a) Create a file containing a list of the files you want to back up
(without the SEL command or other options... just a list of file names,
one per line). For example, textfile.in might contain:

file1.txt
file2.txt
file3.txt

b) Run the command

   dsmc s -filelist=textfile.in

This will process the files much more efficiently than using redirected
input or a client macro, as these methods process 1 file per transaction.
The -filelist options allows multiple files to be processed in a single
transaction, like a regular incremental or selective backup for a drive or
wild-carded file specification.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems

The command line is your friend.

"Kent J. Monthei" <Kent_J_Monthei AT SBPHRD DOT COM>
09/26/2001 16:31