ADSM-L

installing a 3590 in a 3494 the hard way.

2001-09-26 18:24:41
Subject: installing a 3590 in a 3494 the hard way.
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:21:27 -0700
Apollogies for being slightly off-topic. (and a lousy speller!)

I've been upgrading my system piece by piece this summer and
have come up against a stubling point installing 3590s.
and am looking for a 2nd opinion.

We installed a 3494-D12 last spring that was ordered with
the FC9630 feature.  This is the feature in which the box
is pre-configured for two 3590 tape drives.  I call it
the D12 with 'cut-outs'

We ordered and received two *used* 3590-E1As this week and I was all
set to write an installation contract with my CE when he commented
that he hoped I order the drives with the mount brackets.  And then
he went on vacation.  (to be continued when he returns)

So I called back to the used equipment place and they *think* what
I need is a FC4630.  I thought the FC9630 "cut outs' included
everything except the drives but it appears not.

As a last resort I decided to RTFM  :-)  which was helpful
but raised an extra question.  The manual (most current one
on IBM's web site GA32-0329-12 lists Field Install B11/E11 (FC4630)
and Field Install B1A (FC4638) but doesn't mention what I have: E1As!!!!

Maybe you've been down this road or have a more up-to-date manual and
can answer this:

      Should I be ordering/installing  FC4630 or FC4638?

thanks
               ... joe.f.

 "Speeling wasn't a problem  for me 'til I lost my VM/Profs system"

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
         joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633
 "Speeling wasn't a problem  for me 'til I lost my VM/Profs system"