ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore sizing.

2001-09-24 23:43:35
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore sizing.
From: Ray Schafer <schafer AT TKG DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:38:55 -0500
A noteworthy point.  You can use the AIX 433 install CD to create the
AIX 4.3 SRT.  It can then handle AIX 4.3.1, 4.3.2, or 4.3.3.  Generally,
you want to use the latest relese of the level of the OS to build the SRT.

Zlatko Krastev/ACIT wrote:

Ray,

let me point small and very rare but important issue:
If you update AIX 4.3(.1) to 4.3.2 or 4.3.3 you have the ability to change
a volume group to "big volume group" using chlv -B
If you make a mistake to change to rootvg to big vg AIX 4.3 and 4.3.1 are
completely uncapable to handle it.
I am not yet familiar with details of TKG's BMR products and didn't read
their docs.
But even on an pure AIX complex (no TSM, no BMR) if and only if we do have
an administrator (if I do this I would be very silly) which extended rootvg
beyond limits of "normal" vg he will have to be sure that boot image is
created from 4.3.[23].

Just some thoughts for something I hope will never happen. Girls and guys,
has someone already done it ;-)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

How often are the boot images refreshed? How BMR is going to
realize
that a client has upgraded its OS, when others have not?

BMR does not currently validate the boot images.  You will need to
update the boot image when the client has a major OS level change (For
AIX that would mean if the machine is upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2, but not
from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3. ).   The boot image creation does not take a long
time, and it can be done regardless of the state of the client.  The BMR
database holds enough information about the client to help you build the
correct boot image.
Ray Schafer             The Kernel Group       www.tkg.com
<http://www.tkg.com>
Sr. Sales Engineer      schafer AT tkg DOT com <mailto:schafer AT tkg DOT com>
  +1 512
433 3300

--
Ray Schafer             The Kernel Group       www.tkg.com
Ray Schafer             The Kernel Group       www.tkg.com
Sr. Sales Engineer      schafer AT tkg DOT com    +1 512 433 3300