ADSM-L

Re: Expiration "challenge"

2001-09-24 22:08:41
Subject: Re: Expiration "challenge"
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:05:03 -0500
On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 07:32:19 -0400, it was written:
>>We now have a Law Enforcement organization interested in some "unusual
>>activities" that occurred in one of sixty databases that resides on one of
>>the servers.  The "request" they placed was to retain the oldest copy that
>>we had of this database until they were through with their investigation.
>
>Fred - My inclination would be to do a Rename Filespace to "freeze" the
>       current collection of backups under its extended retention, and have
>new backups start the original filespace name afresh with a new management
>class having an "ordinary" retention policy.

An alternative:

Make a backupset of the machine containing the database in question.
Restore the backupset to a new box; this way, the entire Informix
environment is preserved on one tape (or however many tapes the
backupset requires) and can be restored as many times as desired.
(Don't forget to set the retention time appropriately.)