ADSM-L

Re: volume status being changed erroneously

2001-09-24 15:22:01
Subject: Re: volume status being changed erroneously
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger AT DIALTONEINTERNET DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:03:49 -0400
> So we can dismiss a error at the factory.

I wouldn't necessarily say so.  We recently purchased a 3583 library and
40 LTO tapes -- within the last 6 months or so.

My tape drives rejected three of them with error #6 (bad media).  So, I
RMA'd them, and got three replacements sent to me.  Of those three, two
were also rejected by the drive.  So, I RMA'd those -- my embarrased tape
provider sent me 10.  Of those, 2 were also rejected.  So, out of a grand
total of 53 tapes, 7 of them were bad; 13.2% of the total amount.  That's
a pretty high failure rate.

Now, your symptoms are a little different, but considering that I had
three separate tape deliveries, and there were a signifigant amount of bad
ones in each delivery, I wouldn't consider 30% of your LTO library's tapes
being bad to be beyond reason.

This is new technology.  I'll bet they're still ironing out some stuff ;)

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger