ADSM-L

Re: Etherchannel and EBU backups.

2001-09-24 01:03:28
Subject: Re: Etherchannel and EBU backups.
From: Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:03:51 +1000
I've had some feedback re my attached note explaining that whilst it will
work, all four sessions would operate through a single interface on the
client and a single interface at the TSM server end, not improving my
throughput a jot.

Forgetting Etherchannel for a moment, is there any way that an EBU/TDP for
Oracle can direct individual parallel sessions to different TSM servers? I
don't see how - as I understand it the entire database instance is sent
with optionally multiple parallel sessions to a single TSM server. Of
course I don't really want to backup to separate servers, but I do want to
backup to 4 different IP addresses. Can I do this?

Regards,

Eric Winters

I'm interested in determining if etherchannel and EBU/TDP for Oracle, might
be effective in reducing backup times.

Client system: AIX 4.3.3, uses Oracle 7 and backs up using EBU via TDP for
Oracle 2.1
Server system: AIX 4.3.3 and TSM Server 3.7

Network interfaces today are 100 MB ethernet, a single adapter in each
system.

Proposal is to speed up backups by using 4 ethernet adapters in both the
client and the server and use Etherchannel. 4 parallel sessions would be
set in the EBU script. A much larger database will be implemented shortly
and etherchannel looks attractive, providing TDP for Oracle will use 4
concurrent sessions, which I think it should.

Can anyone confirm that the above should be a workable solution? Is anyone
doing this?

Thanks people,

Eric Winters