ADSM-L

Re: disabling TCPIP commmethod

2001-09-22 10:57:40
Subject: Re: disabling TCPIP commmethod
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:51:20 +0300
OK folks :-)

I was too lazy to RTFM so I've made some tests and what happened:
0. I have both "COMMmethod TCPip" and "COMMmethod SHAREdmem" enabled.
Shared memory ought to be faster than TCP/IP over loopback.
1. If "COMMmethod TCPip" is commented out the TCP port becomes disabled
just as expected! Same for "COMMmethod SHAREdmem".
2. If both "COMMmethod TCPip" and "COMMmethod SHAREdmem" are commented out
TCP/IP port IS enabled. Just a guess - this is a feature not a bug. If a
beginner forgets to uncomment both why not to enable TCP/IP for him.
3. If "COMMmethod HTTP" was the only uncommented TCP/IP port was still
enabled. IMHO this is really a bug. If I do want to disable all clients
just to perform loooong administrative tasks through browser it will not
happen this way.
4. At the end if "COMMmethod NONE" was defined no port was enabled even
when I left "COMMmethod HTTP" at next row. The server had to be stopped
killing the process.

TSM server on AIX does not have SNA connectivity so I was not able to test
what-if APPC was the only uncommented COMMmethod but it has to be the same.
People with mainframes can play with this. Anyway if someone feels the need
to donate a mainframe count me on :-))

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM> on 21.09.2001 21:36:31