ADSM-L

Re: Archive hangs and Poor Archive Performance at TSM 4.1.2 & 4.2

2001-09-22 10:27:02
Subject: Re: Archive hangs and Poor Archive Performance at TSM 4.1.2 & 4.2
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:01:19 +0300
As already Petr wrote use convert archive. This a half-documented command -
it is not available (in my) Administrator's Reference but you can find it
through help as you can see:

tsm: PUMBA.ACIT.BG>help convert arch
CONVERT ARCHIVE
CONVERT ARCHIVE (Allow Clients to Query Archive Files by Description )
Use this command to improve the efficiency of a command line or API client
query of archive files and directories using the description option.
Previously, an API client could not perform an efficient query at all and a
Version 3.1 or later command line client could perform such a query only if
the node had signed onto the server from a GUI at least once. Perform this
conversion only once for each node.
A GUI backup-archive client can already do a more efficient query without
this command being issued.

At the same time we have a section in Quick Start manual "Before Performing
a Migrate Install" but do not have a section "After Performing a Migrate
Install".
I've learned about this command reading the discussion at this mail list.
So Richard is right - this is a real issue to be well documented.
Maybe even the IBM support people contacted by Ike and Holly didn't knew
about this and tried in a wrong direction.

So maybe it is time for people at IBM/Tivoli (Andy, Thiha, Bill ???) to
advise their colleagues this to be included in the docs and readmes. The
impact will be that less people will have problems with the product (which
sometimes causes customer dissatisfaction and loweres the reputation) and
will ease the life of IBM (!!!) support staff.

Thank you for the patience reading this.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

b290 <bizzorg AT MEDIAONE DOT NET> on 21.09.2001 05:14:11