ADSM-L

Re: Domino TDP and transaction logs

2001-09-18 08:15:46
Subject: Re: Domino TDP and transaction logs
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:14:02 -0400
> But we must see that this backup only catches translog files older than
> appoximately 1,5 days. So do we have a large gap ??? (If so, very bad. So
> bad, that I can`t belive.) I can`t see within TSM any possibility to get
> ALL files. As far as I understand the backup strategy, the TDP can only
> backup the files that the domino server is providing him, a kind of
giving
> the files free to backup. I read that the domino Server is allocating
some
> transaction log in advance.We can see that the server is not backing up
> roundabout 135 transaction logs. Are these not backuped db`s the
> preallocated files ??? Such a huge amount?
> Do I have a problem, or is this the the regular behaviour?

Holger,

In addition to Maklári Sándor's suggestions...

Please keep in mind that there are a few Lotus Domino SPRs (APARS)
that deal with some archived log extents not being released.

SPR #CLOL4P4E7M - Fixed a problem where after log extents were
                  processed by backup software they were
                  not reused or deleted by Domino.
                  Fixed in Domino Server 5.07 (available now)

SPR #SCON4W3UZD - Fixed a problem where using the backup APIs, only
                  70 archive log extents could be processed at one time.
                  Fixed in Domino Server 5.09 (est. date: Nov.)

SPR #JCHN4YPJJ7 - Fixed a problem where the last extent that was restored
                  from the backup product was not being removed when
                  the restore was completed which occurred when doing
                  a restore with transactional logging active.
                  Fixed in Domino Server 5.09 (est. date: Nov.)

Again, these are Lotus SPRs (APARS) that are fixed when
the specific Lotus Domino server is updated.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono