ADSM-L

Re: Sending SAP-Data OFFSITE

2001-09-14 11:00:47
Subject: Re: Sending SAP-Data OFFSITE
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:42:51 -0500
Robert -

You may have to do the ugly step of checking out the original backup
(archive) for the off-site storage and track the tapes by hand.

Be aware that you need more than just the backint archive for recovery you
should have all the /oracle/<SID> and /usr/sap/<SID>, /sapmnt/<SID>
filesystems backed up or archived for point in time recovery, as well as all
the off-line redo logs (preferrably on two sets of tapes).

I run my backint archives to a seperate managment class for the production
system so I can check out only the production tapes (we do it nightly).

I'm about to set up one class for the nightly online backup, with an 8-day
retention, and one for the weekly off-line, with a 21-day retention. We keep
the redo logs 21 days. This will require two different
/oracle/<SID>/dbs/initSID.utl files, one for the online and one for the
offline backups, and an explicit override in the brbackup command.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc