ADSM-L

Re: Restore Linux filesystem, RedHat 7.1

2001-09-14 09:54:11
Subject: Re: Restore Linux filesystem, RedHat 7.1
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:46:44 -0400
>I need to restore / filesystem of Linux RedHat 7.1 on a different machine.
>I have a new machine with just Linux 7.1 and TSM client on it.  I want to
>restore / filesystem from a similar machine to this new machine.
>
>I know how to do restore from one node to another, but since it is /
>filesystem, restore does not work.

Yahya - You're treating it like an ordinary restoral, but in fact what you
        are doing amounts to a bare metal restoral (see many discussions
in the list archives).  Attempting to restore the operating system over
itself will not work.  You can try restoring the root file system (/)
from the backed up machine to a subdirectory on the receiving system,
and then move appropriate pieces.  Unless the From and To systems are
hardware-identical, however, trying to do this is problematic.  What you
would then need to do is a Linux install followed by restoral of allied
file systems.

  Richard Sims, BU