ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Extended format tapes.

2001-09-14 09:53:59
Subject: Re: TSM and Extended format tapes.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:02:39 -0400
>How does TSM handles extended length cartridges.  Our biggest concern is
>how does TSM track %full for recycle/reclaim processing?

Nothing special - TSM treats them like any other tape, writing until it
finally encounters the end of the tape.  Perspective: Tapes are like
snowflakes - no two tapes are exactly the same length...and even any one
tape can vary in length over time.  Pct Util is just a pure guess while
Filling, and gets a true number only when Full.

>If we decide to use extended length cartridges on a NSM, It has been
>recommend we order them pre-labeled.  So we absolutely do not want to mix
>extended length with standard length in the mainframe libraries.

Whether you label them or the vendor labels them, the tapes are the same.
I don't see the "a priori" logic of tape labels and mixing in a library.
You can keep them separate in different Devclasses if you want, with
dedicated drives; but there's no problem mixing them, as I think most of
us do.  As said above, tape length is utterly variable to begin with,
so even in your pre-existing tape pool you in effect already are mixing
tapes of varying lengths.  That's the essential nature of tape: it's
non-deterministic, unlike disk.

   Richard Sims, BU