ADSM-L

Re: Defining 3584 Library to TSM on AIX

2001-09-10 13:27:40
Subject: Re: Defining 3584 Library to TSM on AIX
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:27:57 -0400
I have not done this yet, but -  Have you installed the FC filesets on AIX
that are required for support of FC?  After doing this and connecting library
and then run "cfgmgr" to have AIX pick up new device would be a
few simple steps.  (Probably need some FC config steps also).

A quick thought to give you a start.

David Longo

>>> kleinr AT EXCHANGE.NIH DOT GOV 09/10/01 11:31AM >>>
We are trying to set up  TSM on an AIX system and are having problems
getting TSM to see the 3584 library.  I have done a search on the adsm-l
archives and did not see anything about defining a 3584 to TSM.

The AIX system is not seeing the 3584 tape library, when any commands that
try to configure or look at the device is issued, an error is returned

$ mkdev -l 'lb0'
        Method error (/etc/methods/cfgadsmdd):
                0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
device at the specified connection location
cfgadsmdd[valid]: the device is NOT supported
cfgadsmdd[inq..]: free dds
cfgadsmdd[main]: error inquiry or building dds, rc=51

We need this device so we can continuing configuring the TSM server running
on the system.  Without configuring the tape library and drives, we can't
configure TSM server.

Part of the problem appears to be that the documenation does not describe
the syntax for specifying a fiber channel device, which is the type of 3584
library we have.  It only mentions a SCSI device.

Has anyone successfully defined a fiber channel 3584 to TSM running on AIX?
Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated.  We have also
submitted a problem ticket via our IBM support team, but have not heard
anything back from them yet.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 09/10/01 13:34:41
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.