ADSM-L

Re: Upgrading ADSM 3.1 to TSM 4.2

2001-09-10 10:19:10
Subject: Re: Upgrading ADSM 3.1 to TSM 4.2
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:20:02 -0400
ADSM 3.1 is currently running on NT4. The desire is to do a fresh install of
Win2K and load TSM 4.2.
questions I have are as folows:

1. Is it possible to export the ADSM database from the NT platform and
import it, into TSM?

        I have not done this in your exact situation, but I have done many
other TSM upgrades/ server moves. In general, it SHOULD work.  However, I
don't think Tivoli tests this with each version to every other version, so
the only way you know for sure, is to try it.    What I recommend, to be
sure, is to:
        1) back up your data base
        2) install TSM 4.2 on top of the old 3.1 server.
           Start the server and run the upgrade DB (if required)
           Any DB changes will be made and will convert your DB to 4.2
format.
            3) back up the data base again; make copies of the DEVCONFIG and
VOLHIST files.
        4) Reload Win2K and TSM 4.2
        5) Restore your DB from the 4.2 backup.
        This removes any doubt, doesn't take very long, and a backup/restore
of the DB is much faster than export/import.

    2. If Q1 is not possible can ADSM 3.1 be loaded on Win2K and then
upgraded to TSM4.2?
        Don't know.

3. Can a low level client access a high level server or is it imperative
that the 4.2 client modules be installed on all the clients when the server
is upgraded/installed?
        You should have no problem with 3.1 clients accessing a 4.2 server.
They aren't supported by Tivoli in that configuration, but should work until
you get around to upgrading them.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert